The use of ATM has grown rapidly in popularity because of its low banks transaction costs and customers convenience which has made it a basic element of today’s financial service delivery. However, the ATM which is meant to be serving the customers better is now becoming a nightmare for some customers because of fraud perpetuated in their accounts through ATM withdrawals. The main purpose of this work is to examine the activities of fraudsters through ATM pin and how these frauds have affected financial institution growth and customers patronage of banks. This researcher made use of four banks as a case study for this research work. Data was collected from questionnaires, interviews and observation from the four banks under study. Three hypotheses was tested using the chi- square statistical tool and it was observed that there is a significant relationship between ATM fraud and fraud in Nigeria, it was also observed that ATM fraud affects customers patronage and financial institution growth. In conclusion, the activities of fraudsters needs to be monitored and measures should be put in place to mitigate these frauds. To solve this, additional security layer on the ATM is recommended and proper monitoring of the ATM machine by the banks. We believe that if banks and service providers heed to some of these suggestions in this work, we will have a safer, hassle- free and worth while banking experience in this country.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM.
It will be pertinent to highlight the needs for embarking on a study of this nature which will examine the activities of fraudsters through ATM.This study will attempt to seek answers to the following problems.
- Can ATM cause fraud in the banking industry in Nigeria?
- Is there any relationship between ATM and fraud in Nigeria?
- Is there any need for ATM since the rate of fraud is alarming?
- How do these fraudsters commit these frauds?
- Does ATM fraud affect financial institution growth?
- What are the reactions of the banks when these frauds are committed?
- What are the reactions of the customers that are affected by the fraud?
- What are the reactions of the central bank of Nigeria in regulating this fraud?
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to;
- To know the relationship between ATM fraud and fraud
- To examine the ways by which these frauds are committed.
- To know the measures that central bank of Nigeria has taken to mitigate this fraud.
- To know the reactions of the customers affected by these fraud.
- To know the reactions of banks when these frauds are committed.
- To know whether fraud affects financial institution growth
- To find out the ways that we can avoid this risk.
- To proffer solution to fraud in Nigeria.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- What is the relationship between ATM fraud and fraud?
- What are the ways by which these frauds are committed?
- How will the central bank of Nigeria stop this crime
- How can the customers and users of ATM avoid the risk of being defrauded?
- What are the solutions to fraud in Nigeria
- How does fraud affect financial institution growth
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS.